Well my official WW weigh-in for today is 167 lbs, another 2 pounds down.
Have been thinking about weight loss as a metaphor for life. How the reflection in the mirror is really looking where we are, but we often only see where we were. There is often a schizophrenic split between the reality of what is, and our memory of what was.
How this manifests is for me, is when I'd lost 50 lbs following a 1500 calorie a day diet, I reached a weight where I was hoovering just below obesity and in the top range of overweight. Thats where I am now. But when I'd look in the mirror I just saw "Skinny!" compared to what I was. So it was hard to figure out what to do to continue losing weight. I was eating a small number of calories and didn't know how to cut down more, (eating 1500 calories a day was what I needed to maintain the weight of around 170) and it also didn't really feel too urgent to lose more weight either.
But having joined Weight Watchers, their program has helped let my brain catch up to my body, and to put together all the nutrition information I've been collecting, into a single program that really works for me. Knowing how to now reduce calories, is what has allowed me to update the image I see in the mirror now. For the first time I see myself as I am and have regained that wanting to be much slimmer.
I put on size ExtraLarge tops and they are loose which is very satisfying, but the size Medium tops are still a little too tight, so that's motivating. I'm wearing size 12 shorts this year as opposed to size 16 last summer.
I want to actually honestly reach my weight loss goal and it feels within reach. Even being at the top of overweight, instead of when I was obese, people now treat me differently, noticing rather than overlooking me. And two other women at work are losing too. Its nice, really nice to be able to inspire each other.
p.s. Friday, May 18 home scale weight is 163, lowest so far.
Have been thinking about weight loss as a metaphor for life. How the reflection in the mirror is really looking where we are, but we often only see where we were. There is often a schizophrenic split between the reality of what is, and our memory of what was.
How this manifests is for me, is when I'd lost 50 lbs following a 1500 calorie a day diet, I reached a weight where I was hoovering just below obesity and in the top range of overweight. Thats where I am now. But when I'd look in the mirror I just saw "Skinny!" compared to what I was. So it was hard to figure out what to do to continue losing weight. I was eating a small number of calories and didn't know how to cut down more, (eating 1500 calories a day was what I needed to maintain the weight of around 170) and it also didn't really feel too urgent to lose more weight either.
But having joined Weight Watchers, their program has helped let my brain catch up to my body, and to put together all the nutrition information I've been collecting, into a single program that really works for me. Knowing how to now reduce calories, is what has allowed me to update the image I see in the mirror now. For the first time I see myself as I am and have regained that wanting to be much slimmer.
I put on size ExtraLarge tops and they are loose which is very satisfying, but the size Medium tops are still a little too tight, so that's motivating. I'm wearing size 12 shorts this year as opposed to size 16 last summer.
I want to actually honestly reach my weight loss goal and it feels within reach. Even being at the top of overweight, instead of when I was obese, people now treat me differently, noticing rather than overlooking me. And two other women at work are losing too. Its nice, really nice to be able to inspire each other.
p.s. Friday, May 18 home scale weight is 163, lowest so far.

No comments:
Post a Comment