07 June 2014

Mani-Pedi

I'm on a kick of being very interested in manicures and pedicures; it makes me feel more feminine to have painted nails.  I get an idea of a particular color nail polish I want to wear and then search Pinterest for different hues and shades of that color, narrow it down to a few colors, then go to the department stores to try on the real thing.

Last summer I wanted a coral finger nail polish for the season.  I fell in love with the Essie Tart Deco color when I tried it on at a store, but didn't buy it.

Recently I read a blog stating that its a common style for women in Paris to wear red nail varnish with short nails.

I grew up thinking women needed nails longer than their finger tips in order to look good wearing bright nail polish, so I have only ever worn nude colored polish when I bothered to wear polish at all.  Learning that Paris women wear short red nails was a revelation.

This summer I finally bought a bottle of coral nail varnish.  Again tried the Essie Tart Deco and still liked it but was shy to try such a dramatic color.  Instead I bought the more subdued wood rose coral Nicole for OPI Carrie Underwood Sweet Daisy.  Both colors are very similar but the Essie varnish is more of a saturated color and Sweet Daisy is more subdued.

My skin color has a lot of yellow in it, so the corals tend look garish.  For more softness I need to still stick with brown or nude-toned colors.

Summertime is when I lavish moisturizers on my arms and legs because I like to wear shorts and skirts and no sleeves almost exclusively.  This year I'm also wearing flip flops which is unusual, but they are a really fun way to show off my matching mani-pedis.

One of the things that has been happening with concern over my weight is growing concern about my looks overall, and how well I take care of myself.  It feels like self-love to have a manicure and pedicure.

It doesn't cost more to have them done at a salon either because once you buy all the polishes and cleansers, moisturizes, and accoutrements, it costs as much to do it yourself.  The difference is that they do a better job of massaging than I do, which helps my nails grow faster, but there are health concerns when going to salons.  Anyway I want to practice doing it for myself until my work looks almost as good as the work done by a professional.

No comments: