24 June 2012

Doctor Doctor

My dear favorite Dr Fuhrman was on the Dr Oz show on June 4 introducing a 7-day crash diet. Part one. Part two. I'm going to try it.

Dr Fuhrman's website discussion page stated I should expect to detox when starting to eat this way, which means I might not feel so great this week, therefore do not start a new exercise regimen, more than just walking 30+ minutes per day, continuing what I'm already doing.


This is the 90% vegetable, fruit, beans, seeds, nuts, whole grain/10% oil, low-fat protein and dairy plan:
Breakfast: plain oatmeal with flax Seeds, BERRIES and fruit.
Lunch: Bean patties, soups, and dips with veggies.
Dinner: Greens and veggie stir-fry, pizza, salad, with ONIONS and MUSHROOMS.
Anytime:  shakes made with fruit juice, lemon juice, ice, water, and berries.

Beans are a dieters best friend because they keep you full, and are high in resistent starch, meaning that half the calories consumed can not be absorbed.  They reduce blood sugar, and create fatty acid butyrate which may burn fat faster.  Butyrate improves mitochondrial function in your cells, leading to a decrease in fat.

To flush fat from your body you need to release the toxins that are keeping you swollen with fat and fluid.  BERRIES, ONIONS, and MUSHROOMS are anti-angiogenic which means they starve fat cells by cutting off the  blood supply to fat cells, and by growing new capillary blood vessels.  The more you eat of these foods the more you will lose.

Also note:  Dr Joel Fuhrman suggests body fat of <23% for women, <12% for men.  From my start weight of 121, I aim to lose 100 lbs; but his suggested goal is 111-115 lbs.

Day 1, Sunday June 24, homescale 158.5 lbs.
B:  1/4 c Irish steel cut oats, 1 Tbl oat bran, 1 Tbl ground flax, 1/2 banana, 1 c berries.
L:  1/2 c. beans w/onion, [1 oz cheddar], tortilla, salad w/fat-free dressing, kiwi.
      My purse was stolen from my car.
D:  [1 Bisquick shortbread, 1 c frozen yogurt], strawberries, [ginger ale].

Day 2, Monday  June 25, homescale 158.5 lbs.
L:  [3 scoops Herbalife shake, protein bar]
D:  1/2 c beans w/onion, [1 oz cheese], tortilla, salad w/fat-free dressing.

Day 3,Tuesday June 26, homescale 157.5 lbs.
B: grapes
L:  [2 scoops Herbalife shake, german chocolate brownie]
D:  salad [w/6 croutons] and 2 Tbl fat-free dressing.
A:  [1/2 c. frozen yogurt] strawberries, grapes.
    I have to try harder, maybe extend the diet by 3+ days.

Day 4, Wednesday June 27, homescale 157.5 lbs.
B:  1/4 c Irish oats, 1 Tbl oat bran, 1 Tbl ground flax, 1 oz walnuts, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c berries.
L:  grapes.
D: [take-away Szechuan tofu and veg with 2 Tbl white rice. 1 fortune cookie.]

Day 5, Thursday June 28, homescale 155.5 lbs.
L:  baby carrots, cherries.
D:  [take-away Szechuan tofu and veg, 1 small carrot cake, 1 fortune cookie.]
A:  1/2 serving grape chia kombucha

Day 6, Friday June 29, homescale 157 lbs.
B: 1/4 c Irish oats, 1 Tbl oat bran, 1 Tbl ground flax, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c berries.
L:  1 c beans and onions, tortilla, [1 oz cheese, salsa, 3 diet root beers].
   Purse was found.
D:  6 oz almonds, [1 sundae drumstick, 1 c frozen yogurt].
A:  1 bunch grapes, 12 cherries.

Day 7, Saturday June 30, homescale 157.5 lbs.
B:  1/4 c Irish oats, 1 Tbl oat bran, 1 Tbl ground flax, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c berries.
L:  [microwave popcorn, 1-1/2 c frozen yogurt].
D:  salad w/2 Tbl fat-free dressing.
A:  kale chips, 1/2 frozen banana [dipped in chocolate] and nuts.

Day 8, Sunday July 1, homescale 156.5 lbs.
B:  lime greek yogurt.
L:  salad w/2 Tbl fat-free dressing, 2 cobs corn [w/1 tsp butter, 1/2 cupcake, 1 diet root beer].
D:  1 c ww spaghetti, 1/2 c veggie sauce, [1 Tbl parmesan], 1/2 c lima beans, salad w/1 Tbl fat-free dressing.
A:  3 kiwis.

Day 9, Monday July 2, didn't weigh.
B:  strawberries.
L:  [Herbalife protein shake.]
D:  [frozen Asian pot stickers meal w/rice, 1/4 of Jack's cheese pizza]
A:  frozen banana [dipped in chocolate] and nuts, salad w/2 Tbl fat-free dressing.

Summary:  I did not do so well.  My cravings got stronger, as Dr Fuhrman suggested they would.  So I'm going to try this diet another week, but this time I'll use Dr Fuhrman's books and menus for more variety of ideas of how to be good.  Also I'll rely on the DrFuhrman discussion boards for support too.  Really is important to me to crack this becuase even though I'm doing fine regarding calories and the Weight Watcher system, I see the inherent problem that might be a problem in future -- the problem of not addressing, well enough, improving nutrition. Also need to add weight resistence training, but like Dr Fuhrman suggests, don't worry about this yet, just work at getting over "toxic hunger" first.

p.s. The official Weight Watchers weight is 159.4 lbs for Tuesday June 26.  Omron scale is 158.8 lbs, 27.2 BMI, body fat 43.1%, muscle 23.6%, need 1414 kcal to maintain weight, visceral fat = 8.  Measurements:
Bust 42.5"
Rib 34.75"
Waist 37.25"
Hips 40"
Bicep 12.5" right
Thigh 21.75" right

p.p.s.Last week my WW leader said "You're in the 150's!" and I kept repeating that to myself all week.  This week my workmate who goes to WW with me told me that her 12-year old son said this about me "That skinny lady is really nice."  So you can imagine how happy that makes me.  I'll be repeating that as often as I can!!

No comments: