I just read that Paula Deen has known she has type 2 diabetes for three years and yet she chooses to not change how she cooks, but instead make money endorsing diabetes medication. That makes me feel disappointed; it seems to lack conscience and accountability. Its not even fun.
Remember the Galloping Gourmet? In response to seeing his wife with ill health Graham Kerr sought help, changed his recipes, encouraged vegetables and fruits and reduced fat. He did the right thing, he made skillful choices.
There are some who worry that by trying to get and remain slim they might be endangering their health through malnutrition or flirting with anorexic behaviour. They associate the sustained interest needed to get and stay slim as a vain preoccupation or an unhealthy refusal of comforting nurturance, a gothic death-wish or morbid fascination. No. That is a confusion.
Getting and staying slim is life-affirming.
Being obese is an unhealthy series of choices that is known to shorten lifespan.
In my personal experience being overweight or obese were different issues. Being overweight was simply due to following a normal American diet full of processed foods, lots of fats, lots of cheese. It was simple cause and effect. When I'd get close to 150 lbs then cut back till I got back down to 135. It might not be ideal, but it wasn't too unhealthy at that point.
Overweight was being confused by all the conflicting information, being afraid to follow my own instincts, and being tired of choosing the harder path, but it was simply a matter of failing to establish consistent, wholesome habits.
But then I had a real problem and could not find a solution by myself, a problem I felt too scared and confused to speak about and by not seeking help, it became a shameful secret. Thats when I became obese.
Being obese was a result of seeking comfort when I couldn't find a solution because "I don't want to start regretting." But I did regret, and not talking about it turned the problem into a secret, which led to feeling shame.
In my experience, obesity was a real problem, it was choosing to be unhealthy. An unresolved problem led to feeling shame and comfort eating.
Luckily I was able to find the motivation to lose weight when I allowed myself to hope for a better future. Losing weight made me proud of myself. Feeling good bouyed me enough to look at the problem and finally talk about it, finally seek help.
World! Stop saying the slim are vainly obsessed with their looks, or have an unhealthy refusal to accept comfort. That might be true if behavior turns into extreme self-denial stemming from body dysmorphia, but in most cases, its just a weird fear. I look around and see a far greater number of people who are overweight or obese than people who are too skinny. So which is a greater problem?
Preparing nutritious food when you crave junk food is life affirming. Being active when you want to be a couch potato is life affirming. Choosing to love when you want to hate is life affirming. Telling the truth when you want to lie is life affirming. "Believe in the things that you know."
Remember the Galloping Gourmet? In response to seeing his wife with ill health Graham Kerr sought help, changed his recipes, encouraged vegetables and fruits and reduced fat. He did the right thing, he made skillful choices.
There are some who worry that by trying to get and remain slim they might be endangering their health through malnutrition or flirting with anorexic behaviour. They associate the sustained interest needed to get and stay slim as a vain preoccupation or an unhealthy refusal of comforting nurturance, a gothic death-wish or morbid fascination. No. That is a confusion.
Getting and staying slim is life-affirming.
Being obese is an unhealthy series of choices that is known to shorten lifespan.
In my personal experience being overweight or obese were different issues. Being overweight was simply due to following a normal American diet full of processed foods, lots of fats, lots of cheese. It was simple cause and effect. When I'd get close to 150 lbs then cut back till I got back down to 135. It might not be ideal, but it wasn't too unhealthy at that point.
Overweight was being confused by all the conflicting information, being afraid to follow my own instincts, and being tired of choosing the harder path, but it was simply a matter of failing to establish consistent, wholesome habits.
But then I had a real problem and could not find a solution by myself, a problem I felt too scared and confused to speak about and by not seeking help, it became a shameful secret. Thats when I became obese.
Being obese was a result of seeking comfort when I couldn't find a solution because "I don't want to start regretting." But I did regret, and not talking about it turned the problem into a secret, which led to feeling shame.
In my experience, obesity was a real problem, it was choosing to be unhealthy. An unresolved problem led to feeling shame and comfort eating.
Luckily I was able to find the motivation to lose weight when I allowed myself to hope for a better future. Losing weight made me proud of myself. Feeling good bouyed me enough to look at the problem and finally talk about it, finally seek help.
World! Stop saying the slim are vainly obsessed with their looks, or have an unhealthy refusal to accept comfort. That might be true if behavior turns into extreme self-denial stemming from body dysmorphia, but in most cases, its just a weird fear. I look around and see a far greater number of people who are overweight or obese than people who are too skinny. So which is a greater problem?
Preparing nutritious food when you crave junk food is life affirming. Being active when you want to be a couch potato is life affirming. Choosing to love when you want to hate is life affirming. Telling the truth when you want to lie is life affirming. "Believe in the things that you know."


No comments:
Post a Comment