03 November 2011

Near

I'm so near to meeting half of my weight loss goal, of losing 50 lbs, that I can taste it.  I'm late too,  I wanted to met this goal by August, whereas in my 2-year plan the goal for November was 156 lbs. I have these weird reactions to getting close to a big goal -- I tend to hover over that weight for too long until I just get really frustrated and really make a big push towards losing enough weight to just meet that goal and then continue losing at a more normal rate again.  It's almost like I'm afraid to meet that goal.

So the goal I next want to meet is 170 lbs.  This morning I'm at 172 lbs.  I just want to meet and then get lower than that weight by 5-10 lbs so that I can feel secure that I have finally met that goal and surpassed it.

I started walking around a track with people at work. It's fun to have someone to talk to.  But sometimes they couldn't make it so then I was bored just walking around by myself so started lightly, slowly jogging half way around the track just to see if I could.  The next week I started walking 2 laps, running 1 lap, etc.  I discovered that going around the track 8 times is 1 mile. So I made sure to run 8 laps.

This week I walked 2 laps, ran 2 laps.  Again I ran only 8 laps total,  so just one mile, but the workout was definately harder.  And my body is so sore.  I get sore in places it never occured to me a person would get sore from running.  I get sore mostly in my upper body, my arms, back, and my lungs!  My lungs feel so good after running.  They feel clean.  I love that feeling, but they feel scrubbed out clean, like the way my teeth feel after being cleaned by a dental hygenist.

I hope that running will help me meet and surpass my weight loss goals faster.  Fingers crossed.  Weight Loss Target Date Calculator.

The basic guide for figuring out how many calories you need each day is to take your weight and multiply it by 10.  So if you weight 220 then you need 2,200 calories to maintain that weight.  If you weigh 170 you need 1,700 calories.  Here is a  Calorie Needs Calculator.  Running burns 115 calories per mile.  Walking burns 80 calories per mile.  Active Calories Calculator.

One more thing.  I've been thinking that for the first year, when I was in the category of obese, people really couldn't tell that I was losing weight.  It's only now, now that I'm in the category of overweight that people are starting to notice.  And that's ok, it's what I expected, but it is more encouraging to have people notice now.

No comments: