I have rewarded myself while losing weight with what I think are logical rewards. For example when I started losing weight I did not want to spend money on new clothes, because I didn't want to spend money on more plus size clothing. Shopping in the plus size department of stores made me feel ashamed, I never wanted to look at myself more than glance to see if the clothes covered me sufficiently. So as my pants became too large I folded the waistband over. I did that for several months.
That reward of not having to shop for more plus size clothing worked well until I had a court appearance to make regarding the pending divorce. I wanted to look respectable and as good as I could. So I went shopping and bought 2 new pairs of pants and 1 sweater in a smaller size. They were plus size but a little smaller than I had been wearing. It was a relief to have pants that were not baggy, and to have an outfit where I felt as if I looked relatively smart.
Then as soon as those clothes started to feel too big also I was very anxious to see if I would be able to fit into clothes that were no longer plus size. Because it had been so many years that I had to walk by the regular size section in stores it felt unfamiliar and scarey to shop there. I had to readjust to what in my mind looked like it might fit. I found I was able to fit into Misses size 16 jeans and then bragged to the store clerk that it was the first time since 1997 that I was able to not buy plus size clothing. I was so happy! The next time I went through the store I was able to see and reassure myself that the plus size clothing did look too big.
Another reward I've given myself is allowing myself to donate to Goodwill most of my old plus size clothing, and to throw away old worn out or ripped underwear. I don't have to wear ugly underwear, I can wear pretty clothes and pretty underwear.
I've let my hair grow long because I feel more attractive when my hair is long. I've shopped for hair brushes that use natural boar bristles because they feel so good on my scalp. I've shopped for pins to hold my hair up in a bun or chignon. I've shopped for nail strengthener to help my fingernails become stronger so they can grow longer. I've shopped for make-up and tweezers so I can start paying attention to make-up again.
These are just the little things that I let myself do as rewards.
On the other hand I don't withhold rewards when I have failed attempts; instead I just chaulk it up as an experience to learn from and use them as challenges to figure out something that will work better.
"Nothing succeeds like success" is the old saying that I like to repeat to myself.
That reward of not having to shop for more plus size clothing worked well until I had a court appearance to make regarding the pending divorce. I wanted to look respectable and as good as I could. So I went shopping and bought 2 new pairs of pants and 1 sweater in a smaller size. They were plus size but a little smaller than I had been wearing. It was a relief to have pants that were not baggy, and to have an outfit where I felt as if I looked relatively smart.
Then as soon as those clothes started to feel too big also I was very anxious to see if I would be able to fit into clothes that were no longer plus size. Because it had been so many years that I had to walk by the regular size section in stores it felt unfamiliar and scarey to shop there. I had to readjust to what in my mind looked like it might fit. I found I was able to fit into Misses size 16 jeans and then bragged to the store clerk that it was the first time since 1997 that I was able to not buy plus size clothing. I was so happy! The next time I went through the store I was able to see and reassure myself that the plus size clothing did look too big.
Another reward I've given myself is allowing myself to donate to Goodwill most of my old plus size clothing, and to throw away old worn out or ripped underwear. I don't have to wear ugly underwear, I can wear pretty clothes and pretty underwear.
I've let my hair grow long because I feel more attractive when my hair is long. I've shopped for hair brushes that use natural boar bristles because they feel so good on my scalp. I've shopped for pins to hold my hair up in a bun or chignon. I've shopped for nail strengthener to help my fingernails become stronger so they can grow longer. I've shopped for make-up and tweezers so I can start paying attention to make-up again.
These are just the little things that I let myself do as rewards.
On the other hand I don't withhold rewards when I have failed attempts; instead I just chaulk it up as an experience to learn from and use them as challenges to figure out something that will work better.
"Nothing succeeds like success" is the old saying that I like to repeat to myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment