20 March 2011

Balancing

I guess I haven't really said what I'm doing to lose the weight.  What plan am I following?  Well I have a lifetime of dieting experience to draw from.  I lifetime of learning approximate calories of food, one serving of celery is 5 calories or even minus a few a calories, whereas a Dairy Queen banana split is closer to 500 calories.   Exercise alone does not help me lose weight, dieting alone does help me lose weight, dieting and exercise does help me lose weight faster.  Protein staves off hunger, simple carbohydrates are what I crave but cause me to feel more hungry more often throughout the day.

So the plan I'm following is ever changing and evolving in reaction to successful and failed experiments.

In August I wanted change, it was easy to eat next to nothing.  I wasn't hungry for food, I was hungry for change.  I was lustful for life.  Food did not meet that craving, food was an impediment to meeting my lust. So in August and September it was easy to drop 10-20 pounds without even noticing how I did it.  I just ate very little.

But my appetite for food came back and then I plateaued, and plateaued, and plateaued for a month or three, it seemed.  I'd have a big emotional week or two of anticipation and then when that time passed I'd have a dramatic drop of 5 pounds overnight.

During the time of plateauing I was having Subway sandwiches often for lunch but eventually noticed I was craving food more often during the rest of the day.  So then I switched to just vegetables and proteins for lunch and found I didn't have those same cravings anymore.

Originally the goal was simply to eat less, and exercise more.  But exercise became stress. So I changed the goal to simply eating less.  Learning how to reduce my appetite is still the goal I struggle with.

This is the general plan I follow:

Breakfast:  fruit or vegetables

Lunch:  vegetables or vegetables and protein

Dinner:  anything I want

Dessert: 1 serving of anything I want.


But the goal also is to keep the calories for the day to be around 1200.  So 300 calories per meal on average.  Of course lunch tends to be light in calories and dinner heavy.  That is what I find most satisfying.  Some days the order of these meals is switched around, often I'll have my dessert at lunch. That is what currently works for me.

I drink lots of water. One glass when I wake up. One glass when I go to bed, and about a pitcher (2 quarts) of water or tea and water during the weekdays.  On weekends I drink less water because thats when I go shopping or visiting, its just a different schedule.

No comments: