28 September 2011

Fear

So Fear.  Most of the mistakes I've made were due to fear.  When feeling glum I've even told myself that I've ruined my life due to the choices I've made in fear.

F E A R .

The only thing to fear is . . .

How does fear figure into becoming fit?

In a way I could almost convince myself that fear could be a little bit useful, I suppose.  Fear of being alone due to being fat could be used as motivation to get and stay slim.

Really?

No. Not really.  In reality I've discovered that kind of fear just turns around and around causing more fear and causing me to maintain my weight or gain.  Fear is self-perpetuating.

So what's the alternative then?

Working it out, or at least trying to work it out.  Constantly trying.  When one method doesn't work, or stops working, or you just get bored with it, switch around and try a new method.  Just keep at it.  Keep having faith in the process of trying to work things out.

That process of working things out is like the mental equivalent to a physical work out.  It is its own reward.  It flexes those mental muscles and you learn new techniques that sometimes work or always work, or occassionally work, some might not work at all.  But all that effort is useful!  Very useful information.

So in the face of fear, let go, and instead trust in your own process of being able to work things out.  You might not have success with every effort, but the process is what is most important.

Keep working it out. 
Keep working out.


No comments: