12 May 2011

Binges

Wow!  After a month and a half I'm finally losing weight again.  What a relief!

In March I'd reached 187.5 lbs which put me at the 1/3 of total weight lost goal, and also just under being obese at 188+ lbs to being overweight -187 lbs.   I stayed at 187 for over a month then last week I moved up to 190 lbs.

 It feels so arbitrary, I didn't expect to have gained weight except that I'd had one day of bingeing.   I had crepes for lunch, a high carb, low protein choice.  Then I remained hungry and ate a big bag of Pizzeria Pretzel Combos and made a bowl of nachos for myself for dinner.  I was ashamed of myself but I ate it in full sight of my family becuase:
1. I don't want to eat in hiding and in shame anymore.  If I'm going to eat in shame then I'll do it in full view of everyone.
2. I want to reinforce in my mind that I can have high calorie foods that I crave sometimes and still lose weight.

So I weighed myself the day after that and I'd creeped up to 190 lbs. That was discouraging but also sort of increased my resolve to be more careful.  I have been more careful too, but not too careful, I never want to be too careful.  I have been eating more nuts, and protein foods.

Now I'm 184.5 lbs.  That's including one cupcake a week from the new coffeehouse next to where I work and also special occasion pie and cake several times a week too.  And the weight loss does feel just as arbitrary as the weight gain because I fully expected to stand on the scale and weigh even more than 190 lbs.

So I can't tell by the way by body feels if I'll gain or lose weight.  I can only tell by weighing myself and pretty soon I'll take my measurements too.  Just for another way to measure success.  Now that I'm well under 187 and not teetering up anymore I feel safe to measure myself.  Then I'll know what size clothes I should fit in versus what i do fit in.

The secret to success has been balancing what and how much I eat each day.  But also by buoying myself up, fighting cravings by keeping myself satiated with high protein foods.  A Subway sandwich isn't bad exactly but it creates cravings.  A salad with protein is good, it helps keep me satiated.

I'm anxious to get down another size but that is likely to be a while.  I'm also anxious to have lost 50 lbs (when I get down to 171 lbs), half of the total amount I want to lose.  I just would feel really reassured by that.  I feel reasssured now, but that would be even better.  Good luck to all of us trying to be fit and healthy.

No comments: