25 July 2022

Second yogurt, misadventure :(

The first greek yogurt made of dairy with ingredients we had in the house (5 meat-eaters and vegan-ish me) was such a spectacular success that I got cocky.

I couldn't find a really good recipe for vegan yogurt so I tried to cobble one together from ideas I liked in several different YouTube videos.  

This was the hilarious in one way, so frustrating I wanted to rip my skin off in another way, misadventure with vegan yogurt.

I put 1 cup of cashews for creaminess in the Vitamix

Then 3 cups of gluten-free rolled oats. 

Then 7 cups water and let set for 20 minutes.

Blended for 30 seconds. 

Poured in saucepan to cook on medium high for 20 minutes.  <--this is where the fun starts. 

As I stirred the thick mixture on the medium heat with a wire whisk I was horrified by how thick it was.  I kept saying "It's like pancake batter!"  I kept whisking it over heat and it kept getting thicker, so I started adding cups of water.  Each time, it thinned it, but as I whisked it jut got thick again.  It seemed to make no difference.  I know I added three cups of water but I think it was actually four cups, until there was no more room in the saucepan.

Then I let it cool and asked for help on Facebook.   One friend posted a video about making cashew milk and oat milk and I noticed the ratio was one cup cashew/oats to four cups water.  Also they presoaked the cashews for a full day.  And they used ice cold water for the oat water.

So I put my pot of coconut vegan yogurt in a bowl and added some of the cashew/oat pancake batter, as well as two capsules of probiotics.  Then I added two more cups of cashew/oat pancake batter and three cups of water and blended them with an inversion blender after each cup.  The result was thick like cream liquid.   

Then I put the cover on the pot and put in the incubator and set it for 10 hours Greek yogurt setting.

I'm a little afraid it will be more like bread than yogurt, but fingers crossed it will work out all right.

Result:  In the morning I opened the yogurt and it was like a thin milky liquid, it had not thickened up at all.  I tasted it and it tasted tart yogurt though.

I put it in for 8 hours more and when I came home from work it has a layer of thicker like yogurt on the top but underneath was still liquid like water.  I threw it all outside after drinking about 1/2 cup of it.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments: