Using the Bear Yogurt Maker, I successfully made first batch of yogurt. Its a great success!!
Only had on hand the ingredients to make dairy yogurt.
First I put the lids and jars in dishwasher to sterilize them. Dishwasher takes 3 hours.
I cooked 4 cups of 2% organic milk on the stove medium heat, stirring with a whisk for 20 minutes, then let cool to room temperature while waiting for the dishwasher.
I do not have, so did not use a thermometer to make sure it was 180F. Put the lid over the saucepan while it cooled to keep it sterile, also do not know the temperature when it cooled to room temperature.
When the dishwasher was done I added two capsules of probiotic digestive enzymes and almost one container of lemon Choboni yogurt to the milk, stirring with a whisk to make sure it was well combined.
Then poured the milk/yogurt in the sterilized container and set the Bear Yogurt Maker for Greek-style yogurt which is 10 hours incubation time.
When I woke up this morning it was done so I opened the lid and the yogurt had set and was completely solid, really nice and thick. I'm so pleased! Set as thick as custard! I tasted it, and it is very sour like lemon. Then I re-covered it and put it in the fridge. It will need to be sweetened before eating.
It was a complete success!!
Yogurt so thick a spoon stood up in it! And it was tart but I added sugar and jam to those who wanted fruit flavors, and added maple syrup to mine because that's my favorite flavor. It was spectacularly good!
Next I will buy the ingredients to make non-dairy yogurt!

No comments:
Post a Comment