14 January 2017

Cosmetics

Wow! I just re-read the most recent post from October 2016 and I realized that plan has worked!

As of this month January I have rejoined Weight Watchers.  Today is the start of week two.

My interest in cruelty-free makeup has burgeoned, out of my renewed interest in makeup.  I'm even starting to wear nail lacquer because the clean versions don't weaken my nails as much as the conventional products did.

So what a journey this has been.  I wish I had been blogging it or started a YouTube vlog.  I get almost all my information from YouTube and a few cruelty-free bloggers, who have lists of cruelty-free cosmetic companies.

In terms of what to buy, ethically:
- cruelty-free is my first concern,  and then
-vegan or clean green products are tied for my second concern, and
-of course cost will definitely allow me to try a new product or not, hand in hand with
-my desire for minimalism "buy less, reuse more" versus my desire to try every cool new cruelty-free brand out there.
So I tend to plan what I will buy, one beauty purchase per month on top of the monthly beauty box subscriptions, and only buy when on sale.

So here is a list of my favorite brands of products I am using and like best so far:

Monthly subscription boxes for learning about and trying products:
-Petit Vour $15/month
-Teri Miyahira $40/month
-Vegan Cuts $40/four times per year

Underarm deodorant: Schmidt's Natural

Facial Cleansers: Avalon Organics, Andalou Naturals, Pacifica, other samples from subscription boxes

Moisturizers: Andalou Naturals, DermaE, Pacifica, Acure Organics, samples from subscription boxes

Serums: True Moringa, Acure Organics, samples from subscription boxes

Masks: Pai Skincare, samples from subscription boxes

Oils: Now Foods, Sunny Isle Extra Dark Castor Oil

Face Spray: Olivia Care

Cream foundation -RCMA, The All Natural Face, new product for me, I love cream foundation!

Liquid foundation -none, tried Juice Beauty and Dr Hauschka, but haven't found one I like

Concealer -Pacifica but its too dark for my shade of skin, so started just building layers of cream foundations

Makeup Brushes -Sonia Kashuk, e.l.f., Teri Miyahira, EcoTools, The All Natural Face

Brush Cleaner -Dr Bonner's, and a brush cleaner mat by e.l.f.

Setting Powder -RCMA

Eye Primer -The All Natural Face

Eyebrows -Pixi by Petra

Eye Shadow -Makeup Geek, Pacifica, Teri Miyahira, Studio 78 Paris

Eyeliner -Makeup Geek, Pacifica (also Urban Decay vegan glitter eyeliner that is not cruelty-free because they sell in China and parent company is also not cruelty-free, but that got me interested in makeup and cruelty-free journey in the first place)

Mascara -Pacifica

False Eyelashes and Adhesive -Ardell

Blush -Pixi by Petra, Teri Miyahira, Studio 78 Paris

Bronzer, Contouring -Lily Lolo, Teri Miyahira

Highlighter -Fior Minerals

Lip Scrub -The All Natural Face

Lip Mask -none, want to try Kani and Nugg

Lip Balm -Pacifica, and lots of brands I can't remember

Lip Stain and Liner -e.l.f.

Lipstick -e.l.f., Red Apple Lipstick, Juice Beauty

Nail Lacquer -none, ordered Korres but haven't tried yet (also Target's Defy & Inspire which Ethical Elephant site says is cruelty-free but other sites and I assume must not be because can find no definitive statement from Target but this is the product that made me start looking for cruelty-free clean nail products)

Nail Polish Remover -Aila

Shampoo and Conditioner -Avalon Organics, 100% Pure

Hairstyling -Giovanni

Regarding joining Weight Watchers online, weighing at home first thing in the morning barefoot my starting weight was 218 lbs, as of last night after midnight I weighed 219 lbs, but first thing this morning I weighed 218.2 lbs, so a gain either way. However, its still a WIN because I am being more conscious and careful and learning, so I'm still happy with the direction I'm heading.

No comments: