22 February 2015

Steele

As promised, I've seen 50 Shades and was very confused by it, at first.  I have NOT read the books, so wasn't sure what to expect.  The story is of a 4.0 gpa grad student with the name Ana Steele.  "Pro-ana" is the phrase for pro anorexia, so I am wondering if the author chose the name to suggest that the main character might have anorexic tendencies of needing a lot of control in her life.  Steele suggests a steel carbine knife blade, strong as steel, used for cutting.

Anastasia meets a very rich and attractive business magnate (I hear the lyric "You are a magnet, and I am steel" playing in my imagination) and though she feels intimidated by him, he is intrigued by her obvious attraction to him.  He thinks he reads people well, but I think she intrigues him specifically because she beguiles him.

He courts her, he swoops her up like a true Dominant would, to protect her from putting herself at risk, ie. being drunk in a public bar.  When she wakes up the next morning in his bedroom he warns her with the sexiest line in the movie, "If you were mine, you wouldn't sit down for a week..."  Later he takes her on date flying her in his helicopter. Ok . . . so we know he is rich, attractive, man who literally can fly, he is so free and self-determined that he can fly, and oh yes, he's a Dominant who likes to protect and spank naughty girls.

If Ana wants to date him she is asked to sign a contract that identifies her as his submissive and lists rules and regulations she should follow or punishment will be earned.  Spoiler alert:  she does not sign the contract, but they continue to play anyway; and she submits to him spanking her even though she does not get turned on by it.

Christian Grey's name suggests that he is in need of redemption, of forgiveness for sins that are hidden, murky and grey.


I couldn't figure out what was going on this movie. Why was she in a relationship with him when she is obviously not into kinky fuckery herself, she is only doing it to stay with him?  Then I realize she is him, except she is a woman.  And women have been the chattel or possession of men for 1000s of years and only recently in the west have women the choice to be completely emancipated.  And Ana is emancipated, she is in complete control of herself and will not accept life on anyone else's terms but her own.  With very few women in history who have had the opportunity to be self-determined she is forging ahead and creating her own version of a free woman.  She is attracted to Christian's freedom she wants it for herself and she refuses to sign his contract naming her as submissive.  She is her own woman.

And that ladies, and gentlemen, is how I was able to make sense of the movie, 50 Shades of Grey.

No comments: