I recently watched the 2 Ted Talks by Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love; they were so relevant. In one she discussed the relationship between art and mysticism. In the other she mentioned how women have been chattel of men for 1000s of years, and only recently have we become free. We have no historic examples of free women to model ourselves after, we are creating our lives unfettered from old models. Actually she said it, as if that was a bad thing, having no examples of free women to take advice from; but I'm choosing to see that it is an exciting birth too, the birth of the free woman after 1000s of years of servitude. It's remarkable, and that realization is due entirely to Elizabeth Gilbert.
So I can choose to be romantically involved with a dominant man, I being a submissive woman, but by choice rather than the role being forced upon me. It's wonderful.
That's what I see as the excitement behind Fifty Shades of Grey the trilogy and the movie. I've not read the books nor seen the film yet, but that is what I suspect is behind the excitement.
So we'll see. . . I hope to update this blog after I've seen the provocative film.

No comments:
Post a Comment