07 June 2011

Swimsuit

My activity plan currently is to do about an hour of yoga a day, and 35 min of meditation, for 5 days per week.  I want to do this for flexibility, increased body awareness, and to increase my level of fitness generally.

It helps for short periods of time to have exercise buddies.  A woman at work is going to the YMCA on her lunch hour for cardio, stretching and strengthening exercise.  She is doing this to decrease muscle aches and pains.  She is not also dieting and so even though she has been faithfully exercising since January she has not lost a discernable amount of weight.

On the other hand, from past experience I also found no discernable weight loss from exercising;   but I have been careful about eating less since August 2010, and I have been successfully losing weight even though I have not been excercing anymore than my daily walks with my dog and a few months in the beginning of doing 1 hour of yoga 1-2 times per week.

So this confirms my belief that you need to diet to lose weight, and exercise will increase general fitness, but  exercise alone is not as likely to lead to weight loss.

So anyway, I decided becuase the YMCA will let me have a month to month pass I will try exercising with my work buddy 4 times a week:  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  Just to add a little more cardio and strength exercises.  I will commit to this for only one month at first, just becuase it's summer and I really am anxious to look a little less blubbery in summer clothes and my swimsuit.  I really, really want to feel comfortable in a swimsuit.  I'm not saying i want to feel gorgeous, just comfortable.


I'm not trying to push along the fat loss more than -1 lb a week, because I won't exercise that consistently or that hard.  But I just like every month to have a different thing to focus on.  Last month was an herbal detox, this month it will be exercising with a buddy, to help motivate her and me both.

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." --Mae West.

No comments: