02 December 2014

Sisterhood

I remembered recently that when I was slim, it was almost as if I discovered a secret sisterhood among slim women.  It was thrilling to be accepted in that gentle, closeted herd.  I remember scouring a gas station mart for some snacks that were natural, fresh fruit or anything that would not contribute to weight gain.

I brought my bottle of water and banana up to the check out counter to pay for with my purchase of fill her up fuel for the car.  The check out clerk was a very slim woman she smiled and was very friendly.  I was always friendly when I was slim and loved dressing to show off my figure, subtly.

She struck up a conversation with me, sharing a secret.  "I found Kemps Single servings size cups ice cream in a whole bunch of flavors at Walmart.  I like to get one for a treat after working. I love the moose tracks flavor, and cherry fudge. They are about 300 calories."


That put me off. I thought that sounded like a lot of calories at the time, but I loved how she made me feel included in a secret club of women who understood the tricks and shared tips on staying slim.  It really did make me feel pretty, in a special secluded world of pretty women.  I want to be able to gain entry into the world again. And I want to let other women into the secret world too, just like the girl at the gas station did for me.

It was a striking memory, it made me feel special and grateful. Being slim was a constant struggle of looking for the few choices of healthy food that I could find where ever I went.  There were always just a few choices, sometimes only 1 or 2.  A bottle of water is usually available everywhere.  After that it's a matter of finding the least damaging choice. 

No comments: