Take a care to improve health and satisfaction.
The purpose of this blog is to provide inspiration to myself for making positive changes to improve health and personal satisfaction.
In August 2010 I was 49 years old, 221 pounds, and had no plans for the future. But then I went to a reunion where an extraordinary thing happened. I was reminiscing and catching up with people I haven't kept in contact with since the 1980s, while immersed in listening to the music of my youth, and had a scent memory. I could smell the way my skin would become very alkaline just before I'd get my period.
A friend from out of town stayed with my husband and I and after the reunion we talked for an hour before going to sleep. As we were talking I had a visceral memory that I associated with my feelings for this friend when we were younger. I sensed emotional feelings that were very specifically localized in my abdomen, where a person senses longing, joy and satisfaction. But the odd part is I wasn't experiencing those emotions in real time, they were clearly memories of those senses.
By morning I'd forgotten the visceral and scent memories of the day before. But over breakfast and as my husband asked us about the times in our youth, the visceral memories came back and became stronger and stronger.
These memories of what life smelled and felt like when I was younger inspired me to make some changes. I no longer felt content to simply grow older without any plans to look forward to. I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted something more.
This blog is the diary of searching for that something more.
The purpose of this blog is to provide inspiration to myself for making positive changes to improve health and personal satisfaction.
In August 2010 I was 49 years old, 221 pounds, and had no plans for the future. But then I went to a reunion where an extraordinary thing happened. I was reminiscing and catching up with people I haven't kept in contact with since the 1980s, while immersed in listening to the music of my youth, and had a scent memory. I could smell the way my skin would become very alkaline just before I'd get my period.
A friend from out of town stayed with my husband and I and after the reunion we talked for an hour before going to sleep. As we were talking I had a visceral memory that I associated with my feelings for this friend when we were younger. I sensed emotional feelings that were very specifically localized in my abdomen, where a person senses longing, joy and satisfaction. But the odd part is I wasn't experiencing those emotions in real time, they were clearly memories of those senses.
By morning I'd forgotten the visceral and scent memories of the day before. But over breakfast and as my husband asked us about the times in our youth, the visceral memories came back and became stronger and stronger.
These memories of what life smelled and felt like when I was younger inspired me to make some changes. I no longer felt content to simply grow older without any plans to look forward to. I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew I wanted something more.
This blog is the diary of searching for that something more.

No comments:
Post a Comment